Parowan Water Rights

Purchase Parowan Water Rights

Parowan Water Rights FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

You got questions, we got a few answers.

What is a water right? What are underground water rights in Utah?
All waters in Utah are public property. A “water right” is a right to divert (remove from its natural source) and beneficially use water. Underground water is drawn from the source by a well and pump for use above ground. This requires a licensed well driller.

Why does Priority date matter? What does priority date of water rights mean?
Utah is located in a desert and is in a moderate drought. Early priority date of water right means those holding water rights with the earliest priority dates, and who have continued beneficial use of the water, have the right to water from a certain source before others with water rights having later priority dates. In case of lengthy drought, lack of water and/or policy changes with the Division of Water Rights, priority date of water right matters.

I want to build a home and need a well. Can I just drill a well and start using the underground water?
No, you must own a water right to divert and use water in the State of Utah. Water well drillers are licensed and cannot drill a well unless permission to drill has been obtained from the State Engineer at the Division of Water Rights. Where can I purchase a Parowan Valley water right? You can Purchase Parowan Water Rights here.

How much water right is needed when building a home in Parowan Valley?
DOMESTIC (inside use only): Water diversion for a full-time (permanent residence) use is evaluated at 0.45 acre-foot per family per year. Purchase Parowan Water Rights for domestic use here.

Where do I get water rights?
Water rights are classified as “real property” in the state of Utah and are bought and sold much like real estate. Many real estate agencies will have listings for Parowan water rights much as they do for other real properties. You can Purchase Parowan Water Rights here.

Where do I find a well water driller in the Parowan Valley?
There are several local well water drillers but, you may need to get on a waiting list as the drillers have been very busy keeping up with demand for water well drilling. You can get more information on well drilling and other FAQ at Area 75 Water Rights FAQ.

Do I need to have a water right and well approval to get a building permit?
You can check with the Iron County Building & Zoning for rules and regulations.

Check out these great Parowan Valley and Summit Valley building and home lots available now. Summit Valley Ranchos.

Any water user with questions or concerns regarding Utah water rights is advised to contact the appropriate region office of the Division of Water Rights and/or to seek competent legal counsel.

Copyright 2023 Parowan Water Rights FAQ